Physical Therapy Certification (NPTE and NPTAE) Test Preparation
The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) develops and administers the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) for physical therapists (PT) and physical therapist assistants (PTA) in the US. The NPTE program offered by FSBPT is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
- The minimum educational requirement is a BA or BSc from an accredited education program.
- After graduation, candidates must pass a state-administered national exam.
- Other requirements for physical therapy practice vary from state to state according to physical therapy practice acts and state regulations. Each licensing authority has established its own criteria for eligibility to sit for the PT and PTA exams.
- The exam is a Computer based exam (CBE) and is administered at almost 300 Pro metric Test Centers located nationwide.
- The candidates can register online within the jurisdiction licensing authority which will approve the eligibility and notify FSBPT.
- FSBPT sends an ‘Authorization to test’ letter to the candidates after registration is approved, allowing the candidate to schedule a test date online at the Pro metric web site within a 60-day window.
- The current fee for the exam is $350. There is an additional Pro metric fees of $65.
- Special provisions are made at test sites to accommodate candidates with special needs.
- Candidates are permitted to take the examination a maximum of three times in a 12-month period.
- The exam is five and a half hours with actual testing time being 5 hours.
- The exam consists of 250 multiple choice questions of which 200 questions are scored and 50 questions are used as pre test questions to determine testing standards and for future exams. These 50 questions are not distinguishable from the scored questions.
- The exam is structured in 5 sections of 50 questions each, with every section following the same basic content outline as the larger exam and containing both scored and pretest items.
- The NPTE minimum passing scaled score is 600.
- The questions are written by trained Physical Therapists and all questions are reviewed and pre tested.
- Clinical Application of Foundational Sciences – 14.5% – 29 items
- Examination – 13.0%- 26 items
- Foundations for Evaluation, Differential Diagnosis, & Prognosis -23.5% – 47 items
- Interventions – 18.5% – 37 items
- Equipment & Devices; Therapeutic Modalities -11.0% – 22 items
- Safety & Professional Roles; Teaching/Learning; Research – 19.5% – 39 items
Study tips, help and test preparation
This is a computer based test and can be taken anytime. Most computer based tests are multiple choice with a single best answer. Tips for computer based exam.
Multiple Choice questions can be very tricky and in fact are designed to confuse and distract. Comprehensive multiple choice tips and strategies for increasing your score with practice questions. How To Answer Multiple Choice
Complete PT study guide prepared by a dedicated team of expert researchers.
Includes sample questions, how to make a study plan, test tips and complete review.
Sample of topics covered:
HIV and AIDS
Anterior Compartment Syndrome
First degree AV Block
Ischemic Heart Disease
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Codman’s Pendulum Exercises
Wheelchair ramp Construction
Fall risk factors
Ethical Decision Making
Types of Validity
Manic Depression Disorder
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Birth injuries and Newborns
Iron Deficiency Anemia
CHF in Children
Sickle Cell Anemia
Freud, Erikson, and Piaget
AND A LOT MORE…
|Immune System |
Primary Immune Responses
Secondary Immune Responses
CDC Prevention Isolation Guidelines
Risk Factors of Infection
Types of Cytokines
Respiratory Control Center
Types of Clavicle Fractures
Right vs. Left Lung
The Brunnstrom Scale
Manual Muscle testing
Level of Consciousness
Normal Lab Values
Glascow Coma Scale
Stance and Swing phases of Gait
Levels of Amputation
Gait Cycle by Joint Position
Posterior Leaf Orthosis