Everything you Need to Pass the CHSPE Test!
Free practice questions, Test registration information, Test Prep, Multiple Choice Tips and Strategy, free online practice questions, Test Tips, plus CHSPE study guide and practice tests (including math study guide) in every format – Printable PDF download and paperback.
Study Guide – PDF Download
CHSPE Study Practice APP
Can I use Calculator?
Calculators are allowed in the Mathematics section of the CHSPE, but with some limitations. For example, it must be a solar-powered or battery-powered basic calculator, which means non-scientific, non-programmable and non-statistical calculator.
Also, you cannot share your calculator with other examinees, to avoid that the aspirants use them to share information during the test.
Calculators that are NOT permitted are:
- Statistical calculators
- Scientific calculators
- Programmable calculators
- Any other calculator that can enter letters along with numbers, that makes noise, prints, or have raised screens.
Retaking the Test
You can retake one section of the test if you failed, but you cannot retake a section of the test that you passed. Tips on what to do if you fail
What’s on the CHSPE?
- The CHSPE has a duration of 3 ½ hours that can be distributed by the examinee as preferred.
- The English-Language Arts section is composed by grammar and vocabulary questions and also an essay that the examinee must write.
- The Reading subtest has 84 multiple-choice questions, those assess seven aspects: initial understanding, interpretation, critical analysis, strategies, synonyms, multiple meaning words and context clues.
- The language subtest has 48 multiple-choice questions designed to evaluate six contents: capitalization usage, punctuation, sentence structure, pre-writing, content and organization.
- The math section assesses the aspirant abilities on geometry, algebra, and pre-algebra. This section has 50 multiple-choice questions, divided into 4 sections:
1. Number sense and operations
2. Patterns, relationships, and algebra
3. Data, statistics, and probability
4. Geometry and measurement.
If you are a non-profit or volunteer organization we can provide your with test preparation materials at limited or no cost. Please contact us with information about your organization.
How this study guide is organized 9
The CHSPE Study Plan 9
Making a Study Schedule 10
Answer Key 29
Help with Reading Comprehension 33
Main Idea and Supporting Details 36
Drawing Inferences And Conclusions 40
Meaning From Context 43
Vocabulary Self-Assessment 46
Answer Key 52
Help with Building your Vocabulary 54
How to Write an Essay
Formulating a Thesis 67
Common Essay Mistakes 1 70
Common Essay Mistakes 2 72
Writing Concisely 74
Answer Key 89
English Grammar and Punctuation 92
Quotation Marks 100
Multiple Choice - Verb Tense 102
Common English Usage Mistakes 119
Subject Verb Agreement 126
Answer Key 146
Fraction Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts 150
Decimal Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts 155
Percent Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts 156
Exponents – a Quick Tutorial 157
Basic Math Multiple Choice 159
How to Solve Word Problems 163
Types of Word Problems 166
Algebraic Equations 175
Cartesian & Coordinate Plane 181
Pythagorean Geometry 186
Scale drawings 188
Practice Test Questions Set 1
Answer Key 250
Practice Test Questions Set 2
Answer Key 325
The CHSPE is administered by the California Department of Education, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.