Taking the Firefighter Test?
We can help! Test information, practice questions and online study practice course
Firefighter Practice Questions
Reading Comprehension, Math, Memory, Mechanical Aptitude and more
Visit your local fire department or follow the links below
For information about professional qualifications and a list of colleges and universities offering 2- or 4-year degree programs in fire science and fire prevention, visit
National Fire Academy, U.S. Fire Administration
Complete Guide to Firefighter Tests
(US and Canada)
Eligibility for the test
- Pass a written test
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be at least 21 years old
- Demonstrate proof of good character and pass a background investigation.
- Be able to understand and be understood in English.
- Hold a valid New York State motor vehicle driver’s license.
- Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County.
Education/Military/Work Experience Eligibility
- By the date of appointment, have a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent.
- Credits earned at an accredited college or university – dependent on the district
- Paid work experience – depends on the district
- Pass a drug screening test
- Pass a psychological test
- Pass a medical fitness test
What is on the Test
Test elements vary by districts – check with your district
- Mechanical Comprehension
- Judgment and Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
Median Salary & Occupational Outlook
$50,850 per year
$24.45 per hour
Employment is expected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. Physically fit applicants with paramedic training will have the best job prospects.
Online Study Practice Course
Includes self-assessments, timed tests, quizzes, tutorials and hundreds of practice test questions!
US Firefighter Tests
|CPS Research Inc.||Firefighter Entry-Level Test|
|CWH Research Inc.||Firefighter Written Test|
|Darany||Entry-Level Firefighter Exam|
|EB Jacobs||Fire Service Assessment Battery (FSAB)|
|Fire & Police Selection Inc.||National Fire Select Test (NFST)|
|IO Solutions||Firefighter Selection Tool (FST)|
|National Firefighter Selection Inventory (NFSI)|
|IPMA-HR||Firefighter Entry Level Tests|
|McCann||Entry-Level Firefighter Exam|
|Morris McDaniel||S.H.I.E.L.D Firefighter Exam|
|PSI||Firefighter Selection Test (FST)|
|Stanard & Associates||National Firefighter Selection Test (NFST)|
|Wonderlic||Wonderlic Firefighter Test|