Each square labeled A to Z and A1 to A20, represent the corner of an intersection. The lines between the squares represent a city block. The intersections and city blocks fall
under 3 categories.
Large blocks: A, B,F, H, N, Q, R, U, W, Y, A3, A5, A7, A9,
A11, A14, A17, A19
Small blocks: C, D, E, I. J, L,M, O, P, S, T, V, X, A1, A4,
A10, Z, A12, A15, A16, A18, A20
Mini blocks: G, K, A2, A6, A8, A13
The time it takes to travel from one city block to another is:
In a car: 4 minutes
On a bike: 6 minutes
On foot: 10 minutes
In a car: 3 minutes
On a bike: 5 minutes
On foot: 8 minutes
In a car: 2 minutes
On a bike: 4 minutes
On foot: 6 minutes
1. What is the shortest time it would take a woman to go from block A to S driving a car?
a. 11 minutes
b. 7 and half minutes
c. 8 minutes
d. 10 minutes
2. What is the shortest time it would take a man to go from A to S if he drove the first two blocks, then rode a
bike the rest of the way?
a. 18 minutes
b. 12 minutes
c. 17 minutes
d. 15 minutes
3. A student has to walk home from block U to R. What is the shortest time it would take him if he had to go
through block Q?
a. 38 minutes
b. 32 minutes
c. 37 minutes
d. 29 minutes
4. A police patrol car in block Y has to respond to a call in Block G. How fast can they get there if they are forced
by traffic to avoid Block S?
a. 20 minutes
b. 19 minutes
c. 14 minutes
d. 17 minutes
5. How fast would it take a man on bike to ride from block Z to block A7 if he had to spend two minutes and
half along the way fixing his bike?
a. 22. 5 minutes
b. 22 minutes
c. 24.5 minutes
d. 24 minutes
The shortest route would take a car through A – G – H – S, covering two large blocks, a small block and a mini block. This would take 10 minutes by car.
The shortest route from A to S is A – G – H – S, taking 6 minutes by car for the first 2 blocks and then rode a bike. Total time is 12 minutes.
The shortest route from U to R passing through Q is U – V – W – Q – R. Time to walk these blocks is 38 minutes. (A)
The shortest route from block Y to G, avoiding S, is Y – A1 – T – H – G. Time by car is 14 minutes.
The fastest route is Z – A2 – A4 – A6 – A8 – A7. Time by bike is 22 minutes, plus 2.5 minutes to fix the bike, for a total of