Taking a Situational Judgement test like TOJ 375? We can help! TOJ 375 Practice and Test Information
About the Test
The Public Service Commission administers assessment exams for government positions. The Test of Judgment 375 assesses a candidate’s judgment and problem-solving ability. The test provides scenarios and candidates must come up with solutions.
The test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions. Hiring managers choose at what point of the selection process they use the test. Human Resource managers may use TOJ 375 as the last step in a two-part evaluation after an unsupervised test such as, the TOJ UIT 374.
No special knowledge or expertise is required to complete this test. The correct answers are based on the general knowledge and experience.
The TOJ 375:
- Evaluates effectiveness in handling and managing diverse functions such as conflict resolution, interpersonal skills, problem-solving, skills negotiation, promoting teamwork, and cultural awareness.
- Evaluates managerial and leadership skills.
- Evaluates an individuals’ judgment for managerial jobs in the public service.
Eligibility and Registration
Applicants must pass the unsupervised internet test to be eligible for the supervised test TOJ 375.
For individuals who qualify after passing the unsupervised test, a more expensive and time-consuming test is administered. Before candidates are hired, they must pass the TOJ 375 supervised test.
The Public Service Commission manager determines whether to give the supervised test after the unsupervised test or to conduct additional screening and save the supervised test until the end of the recruitment process.
How the test is administered
The TOJ-375 judgment test can be taken in person (pen and paper) or online (using the Public Service Commission’s online testing site) (OLTF – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/staffing-assessment-tools-resources/human-resources-specialists-hiring-managers/supervised-online-testing/overview-online-testing-facility.html). The candidate has 60 minutes to finish the test.
For further information about how the test is administers see https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/staffing-assessment-tools-resources/human-resources-specialists-hiring-managers/understanding-public-service-entrance-exam-suite-products.html
Pass Score and Calculators
The minimum score is 3400/4000 (35th percentile or above). Candidates must be in the top 65% of a large team of the last test-takers. The hiring managers can give directives for the pass mark to be increased to the 50th percentile, or above 50% of the normative sample (3461/4000).
Candidates cannot use calculators.
Where to take the test
The test is taken in a center provided by the Public Service Commission. Applicants can also do the test online in an exam room provided by the Public Service Commission.
There is a 180-day waiting period for re-taking the test. Re-taking the test before the waiting period will give invalid results.
Test of judgment 375 consists of 40 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 3 hours. The questions in the judgment test describe problems experienced at work and other critical situations and proposed solutions. TOJ 375 gives a candidate hypothetical scenario, some of which are very challenging, common in a work environment.
The candidate must judge if the solution is effective and propose actions to resolve.
The TOJ focusses on testing the following competencies:
- Communication skills – This includes how one relates with others and how fast one can understand a conversation and communicate with people. Behavioral thinking and empathizing are the keys to success. Candidates must communicate appropriately, with clarity and purpose.
- Team commitment – One might be a football star, but you still need a team to collaborate in the workplace. Teamwork implies that, at times, an individual needs to prioritize the team’s needs an individual’s needs. This means respecting everyone’s opinion, encouraging and supporting others and making the best of each team member’s skill and unique abilities.
- Creative and analytical thinking – Analytic thinking is considering all facts, data, information, judgment, experience, and wisdom in search of the best answer. Creative thinking is diverging one’s thinking to explore many different options.
- Relationship building – Public relations and team relations are critical components for a successful manager. Questions focus on enhancing effective relationships in the workplaces, including, customers, partners, and supplier relationships.
- Planning and organizing – The quality of work and efficiency is essential for all workplaces. Using time and resources effectively is a key managerial skill. The TOJ tests a candidate’s planning and organizing skill. A good planner can design and monitor clear action plans and communicate changes to those plans to all key parties.
- Commercial awareness – These questions test a candidate’s ability to address various issues that impact an organization’s commercial success.
- Customer focus – Customer experience is critical in any organization.
- Achiever attitude – To score highly in TOJ-375, a candidate must be determined and resilient, result-oriented, able to prioritize work and ensure that everyone is working towards the same organizational goal.
Tips for taking the TOJ 375
The average time that a candidate needs to complete one question is approximately 90 seconds. Unlike many tests, a candidate is not under extreme time pressure but still has to utilize each second wisely. The questions are not technical; hence no calculations and deep analytical reasoning is required.
Make sure that you understand the situation thoroughly before proposing the best action. The following steps are crucial when taking the test of judgment test:
- Use approximately 40-45 seconds reading and understanding the situation- then think of the most effective action.
- Utilize approximately 30-35 seconds reading and internalizing the proposed solution. Compare the proposed solution and your ideal solution to the situation.
- Mark a solution and move to the next question. Don’t spend too much time on any question. If you are not sure about a question, make a note and revisit at the end.
- Unethical options are wrong- If an action evolves around dishonesty, provocative actions, and disguising personal errors, the choice is incorrect.
Tips for Taking Situational Judgement Tests
Other essential tips that ensure one succeeds in TOJ 375 are:
- Know your role
- Identify the main quality being assessed
- Understand the mechanisms and patterns of your responses
- Be yourself
- Study the solutions carefully
- Read the instructions carefully
- Don’t overthink the answers
- Consider the context carefully
- Practice situational judgment tests
Effective practice gives greater confidence in the format of the written test and reduces test anxiety. Adequate preparation ensures high scores on any test.
Test of Judgement FAQ
Online Situational Judgement Practice
Over 100 Test of Judgement practice questions
Realistic scenarios with full answer key and detailed explanations!
See correct answers and why they are correct — See incorrect answers and why they are incorrect